Abrasive Wear in Pump Rotor: Causes and Solutions
May 15, 2019
Pumps can form the backbone of a variety of mechanical processes. Working day and night, pumps help to move any sort of material from one place to another. As the beating heart of a mechanical process, pumps are constantly put under intense stress and strain. Inside of these pumps, whether they be helical rotor pumps or mono-type pumps, the rotor can be introduced to something known as abrasive wear. The continued wearing down of a pump's rotor can lead to performance problems that can cripple an entire operation. Today, we are going to talk about the root causes of abrasive wear as well as potential solutions.
Dealing with Abrasive Wear in Pump Rotor
Any kind of constantly operating machine will be introduced to wear and tear. The reality is that anything with moving parts will be prone to breaking down over time. Even the nicest of pumps and rotors cannot avoid the reality that abrasion is constantly happening and that a potential break-down is looming. With that being said, being armed with knowledge can help you to prepare yourself when problems arise. Let us outline a few causes of abrasive wear in your pump rotor before discussing a few solutions.
1) Moving Abrasive Material - The number one cause of abrasive wear on a pump's rotor is the movement of abrasive material. We aren't talking about just giant rocks and pebbles that get pulled into the water stream. Any coarse solid will eventually be broken down into a powder that impacts the rotor itself. The continued wear-and-tear of coarse materials will begin to score the rotor, leaving marks all over the item.
2) Dense Materials - Whether you are working in the meat industry or in a laboratory, the density of the material being passed through the rotor can impact the abrasive wear of the element itself. Packed tightly enough, any material can end up causing serious issues with the rotor itself. There are a variety of challenging materials that can lead to issues with the rotor, including thick chemicals and gritty liquid.
3) Temperature Extremes - The final common reason for rotor breakdown is that of extreme temperature fluctuations. Abrupt temperature shifts can dramatically impact the rotor, leaving deep damage that simply gets worse with time and exposure.
Fortunately, rotor repair is a relatively straightforward process. Here at Parker Pumps, our team of technicians can help you to maintain, restore, and rebuild your rotor. We can also supply you with the kind of double chrome coating that helps to protect your rotor from the abrasive elements that we outlined above. Call us today in order to discuss any and all solutions for your pump and its associated components!
29B Ormond Rd., East Geelong VIC 3219
Phone: (03) 5229 7443
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Things You Need to Know About Circulating Pumps
- Onga Pool Pumps Dealer in Melbourne: Why Choose Parker Pumps?
- Why is On Site Service and Repair for Water Pumps Recommended?
- How Does Impeller Balancing Maintain Pump’s Operation?
- Benefits of Routine House Pump Maintenance
- Effects of Pipe Strains on Pumping Systems
- Important Considerations in Centrifugal Pump Lubrication
- Common Causes of Excessive Pump Vibration and Ways How to Correct Them
- FAQ: Does a Pump with a Low Operating Speed Increase Its Reliability?
- Avoid Health Problems Due to Water Contamination: Invest on a Whole House Filtration System
- Poorly-Designed Piping: What Harm Can it Cause to a Pumping System?
- Fountain and Pond Pump Selection Guidelines
- Booster Pumps: What, When, and Where is it Normally Needed?
- Understanding the Effects of Water Hammer on Pumps and Pipes
- Abrasive Wear in Pump Rotor: Causes and Solutions
- Dry Running Pump Stators and Loss of Lubrication: Why Should These Be Avoided?
- Causes and Remedies of Misalignment in Pumps
- How to Select Pumps that Can Withstand Harsh Environment and Weather Conditions
- FAQ: What Type of Pump Should be Used for a Running Viscous Liquid?
- When and Why are Water Pressure Booster Pump Systems Necessary?
- Is Water Filtration System Enough to Give You Good Quality Drinking Water?
- Most Common Drinking Water Contaminants: Why Filtration is A Necessity?
- How to Check for Common Fish Pond Pump Problems
- What are the Benefits of Having Grundfos Hot Water Circulators for your Home?
- Pond and Fountain Pumps: Are there any Differences?
- Garden Pump Facts: Installation, Care and Maintenance
- View all articles…
- How to Determine the Pump Size for Your Garden Fountain
- Benefits of Custom Designed Water Pumps for Your Ponds and Garden Needs
- View all articles…
- High Pressure Pumps for Cleaning Applications
- Uses and Applications of Submersible Mixed-Flow Column Pumps
- View all articles…