Causes and Remedies of Misalignment in Pumps
April 16, 2019
Your pump is the hidden motor that keeps your entire machine operating. When your pump is working at full capacity, you are able to fulfill the requirements that your water feature demands. Whether you are working in an industrial application or seeking to enhance your property with a beautiful water feature, you will need the assistance of a quality pump. No matter how nice your pump is, eventually problems may begin to manifest. One of the most common problems for pumps of all sizes is problems with correct alignment. Today, we are going to focus on the common causes and remedies of misalignment in pumps.
Common Causes of Misalignment in Pumps
Your pump is composed of a variety of different interior components. These components must be able to work correctly with one another while undergoing pressure from whatever fluid it is that you are pushing through your system. As a result, issues can arise over time and they should be expected. With that being said, some issues can be more troubling than others. Today, we are looking at misalignment. Misalignment is a large word for a simple problem. Misalignment typically will occur when the shaft inside of your pump is forced out of its correct position. Misalignment can lead to an array of different issues, from rumbling sounds to total pump breakdowns. Now, what causes this misalignment to happen?
1) Poor Engineering - Poor engineering practices can lead to components inside of the pump losing their proper alignment. Common engineering mistakes that result in misalignment include connecting fixed piping to smaller pumps.
2) High Temperatures - Additionally, misalignment can be caused by temperature shifts within the pump itself. When the pipework expands, the expansion can lead to impacting the piping. This temperature shift can lead to the pump being pushed out of place.
Solutions for Misalignment
Perfect pump shaft alignment is simply not possible. As a result, you are likely to run into alignment issues at some point in the future. One of the easiest ways to repair your alignment issues is to incorporate close coupling. This technique works to join the motor and the pump directly via a close coupling mount. This helps to keep a secure alignment in place while fighting off the issues that we highlighted above.
If you fear that you have run into alignment issues and are not sure how to proceed, you can always seek the help of our professional team here at Parker Pumps. We are always at the ready to help you with your pump related needs. Give us a call today, you'll be glad that you did!
29B Ormond Rd., East Geelong VIC 3219
Phone: (03) 5229 7443
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Benefits of Routine House Pump Maintenance
- Effects of Pipe Strains on Pumping Systems
- Important Considerations in Centrifugal Pump Lubrication
- Common Causes of Excessive Pump Vibration and Ways How to Correct Them
- FAQ: Does a Pump with a Low Operating Speed Increase Its Reliability?
- Avoid Health Problems Due to Water Contamination: Invest on a Whole House Filtration System
- Poorly-Designed Piping: What Harm Can it Cause to a Pumping System?
- Fountain and Pond Pump Selection Guidelines
- Booster Pumps: What, When, and Where is it Normally Needed?
- Understanding the Effects of Water Hammer on Pumps and Pipes
- Abrasive Wear in Pump Rotor: Causes and Solutions
- Dry Running Pump Stators and Loss of Lubrication: Why Should These Be Avoided?
- Causes and Remedies of Misalignment in Pumps
- How to Select Pumps that Can Withstand Harsh Environment and Weather Conditions
- FAQ: What Type of Pump Should be Used for a Running Viscous Liquid?
- When and Why are Water Pressure Booster Pump Systems Necessary?
- Is Water Filtration System Enough to Give You Good Quality Drinking Water?
- Most Common Drinking Water Contaminants: Why Filtration is A Necessity?
- How to Check for Common Fish Pond Pump Problems
- What are the Benefits of Having Grundfos Hot Water Circulators for your Home?
- Pond and Fountain Pumps: Are there any Differences?
- Garden Pump Facts: Installation, Care and Maintenance
- View all articles…
- How to Determine the Pump Size for Your Garden Fountain
- Benefits of Custom Designed Water Pumps for Your Ponds and Garden Needs
- View all articles…
- High Pressure Pumps for Cleaning Applications
- Uses and Applications of Submersible Mixed-Flow Column Pumps
- View all articles…