Effects of Pipe Strains on Pumping Systems
October 7, 2019
Running a professional pumping system requires an attention to detail. With repair expenses being what they are, it makes more sense to prevent problems by accurate early diagnosis than ever. Today, we are going to be directing our attention toward a particularly problematic pumping issue, pipe strain. Pipe strain is a convoluted issue that every pumping system operator should understand.
How Does Pipe Strain Impact My Pumping System
Before we can talk about the symptoms of pipe strain, you need to have an understanding of what the problem is. Pipe strain is created by the fundamental misalignment between the pump suction and discharge flange as well as their corresponding pipe flange connection.
Pipe strain is most commonly identified when a pumping system is not in operation, though there are situations where dynamic strain can impact a system currently in operation. Pipe strain is most often caused by poor design or installation, dynamic pressure changes, or a disruption in the traditional pumping system's process. Now that we know what pipe strain is, what can it do to your pumping system?
1) Alignment Problems - First and foremost, pipe strain can lead to catastrophic alignment issues. Any time that you are working with an automated system, you need to have your process under tight control. Slight alignment issues can cause domino-like problems throughout the rest of your pumping system.
2) Excessive Vibration - When your car alignment is out of whack, you tend to hear it. When your pumping system has alignment issues, you'll also be greeted by a cacophony of sound. What you are actually hearing is vibration within the piping system that is caused by the pipe strain. That vibration can lead to issues throughout the rest of your pumping set-up, including further alignment damage.
3) Component Damage - As your pumping system suffers from excessive vibration, the components within it will begin to wear down. Throughout this process, you'll also begin to experience excessive thrust on these components, thus breaking them down. We obviously understand why seals, gears, and bearings are important, so we know that having them wear down is not a good idea! Unless you plan on changing out your seals and components, you'll want to address pipe strain sooner rather than later.
If you are experiencing pipe strain within your system, now is the time to handle it. Here at Parker Pumps, we have more than 50 years of industry experience. When you need pumps, pump system components, or professional pump servicing, you know who to call!
29B Ormond Rd., East Geelong VIC 3219
Phone: (03) 5229 7443
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How Does Impeller Balancing Maintain Pump’s Operation?
- Benefits of Routine House Pump Maintenance
- Effects of Pipe Strains on Pumping Systems
- Important Considerations in Centrifugal Pump Lubrication
- Common Causes of Excessive Pump Vibration and Ways How to Correct Them
- FAQ: Does a Pump with a Low Operating Speed Increase Its Reliability?
- Avoid Health Problems Due to Water Contamination: Invest on a Whole House Filtration System
- Poorly-Designed Piping: What Harm Can it Cause to a Pumping System?
- Fountain and Pond Pump Selection Guidelines
- Booster Pumps: What, When, and Where is it Normally Needed?
- Understanding the Effects of Water Hammer on Pumps and Pipes
- Abrasive Wear in Pump Rotor: Causes and Solutions
- Dry Running Pump Stators and Loss of Lubrication: Why Should These Be Avoided?
- Causes and Remedies of Misalignment in Pumps
- How to Select Pumps that Can Withstand Harsh Environment and Weather Conditions
- FAQ: What Type of Pump Should be Used for a Running Viscous Liquid?
- When and Why are Water Pressure Booster Pump Systems Necessary?
- Is Water Filtration System Enough to Give You Good Quality Drinking Water?
- Most Common Drinking Water Contaminants: Why Filtration is A Necessity?
- How to Check for Common Fish Pond Pump Problems
- What are the Benefits of Having Grundfos Hot Water Circulators for your Home?
- Pond and Fountain Pumps: Are there any Differences?
- Garden Pump Facts: Installation, Care and Maintenance
- View all articles…
- How to Determine the Pump Size for Your Garden Fountain
- Benefits of Custom Designed Water Pumps for Your Ponds and Garden Needs
- View all articles…
- High Pressure Pumps for Cleaning Applications
- Uses and Applications of Submersible Mixed-Flow Column Pumps
- View all articles…