How to Determine the Pump Size for Your Garden Fountain
December 11, 2017
If you're selecting a pump for your garden fountain, what pump size will you opt for during your shopping trip? Well, the chosen appliance needs to move water dynamically. An active stream of upward moving water creates a calming hiss of fluid merriment. What about a low-velocity model? This model produces a gentle gurgling effect, a flow pattern that barely escapes the primary stream. Let's check out your options.
When Inspiration Rules Engineering
Here's one of the only instances where you'll favour aesthetics over engineering know-how. All things considered, you don't worry about the shape of the water as it gushes out of a kitchen tap. Granted, your shower head is a little different, especially when you catch a glimpse of all the exotically modelled options in your local hardware store. Still, that's the exception to the rule. Garden fountains, however, are designed to discharge a specially profiled stream. Pointed directly upwards or at an angle, the fluid jet kicks high into the air. Conversely, the water tumbles down a series of decorative bowls, a pile of decoratively arranged rocks, or even out through a polished copper tube. The point is, there are few limitations here, so the pump size must adapt to match these many different exterior designs.
Pump Size Guidelines
In a garden fountain, the height of the stream matters. The selected model has to deliver a rated fluid momentum, and that momentum must be discharged at a stated velocity. High-velocity fountain pumps accommodate that fast-moving exit stream. At the other end of the scale, the low-velocity pump family suits the fountain types that emit a lazy gurgle of water. The next factor to consider is the diameter of the outlet pipe. A narrow diameter discharge port is typically selected when a focused jet of fast-moving water is desired by the water feature technician. If that same effect is sought after from a wide-diameter pump outlet, a more powerful pumping mechanism is required. Otherwise, that larger port, when matched with a low-velocity appliance, makes for an excellent generator of sluggish fluid.
The soothing hiss of energized water tumbles over rocks and decorative objects. But that calming hiss becomes weak and impotent if pump sizing factors aren't accounted for during the design phase. Faced with a powerless trickle, that perfectly designed rock pile doesn't have much to do, not unless the garden pump is replaced. Avoid an expensive replacement by initially selecting a unit that aerates that water, one that overcomes gravity, and one that absolutely fulfils its design purpose.
29B Ormond Rd., East Geelong VIC 3219
Phone: (03) 5229 7443
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Common Causes of Excessive Pump Vibration and Ways How to Correct Them
- FAQ: Does a Pump with a Low Operating Speed Increase Its Reliability?
- Avoid Health Problems Due to Water Contamination: Invest on a Whole House Filtration System
- Poorly-Designed Piping: What Harm Can it Cause to a Pumping System?
- Fountain and Pond Pump Selection Guidelines
- Booster Pumps: What, When, and Where is it Normally Needed?
- Understanding the Effects of Water Hammer on Pumps and Pipes
- Abrasive Wear in Pump Rotor: Causes and Solutions
- Dry Running Pump Stators and Loss of Lubrication: Why Should These Be Avoided?
- Causes and Remedies of Misalignment in Pumps
- How to Select Pumps that Can Withstand Harsh Environment and Weather Conditions
- FAQ: What Type of Pump Should be Used for a Running Viscous Liquid?
- When and Why are Water Pressure Booster Pump Systems Necessary?
- Is Water Filtration System Enough to Give You Good Quality Drinking Water?
- Most Common Drinking Water Contaminants: Why Filtration is A Necessity?
- How to Check for Common Fish Pond Pump Problems
- What are the Benefits of Having Grundfos Hot Water Circulators for your Home?
- Pond and Fountain Pumps: Are there any Differences?
- Garden Pump Facts: Installation, Care and Maintenance
- View all articles…
- How to Determine the Pump Size for Your Garden Fountain
- Benefits of Custom Designed Water Pumps for Your Ponds and Garden Needs
- View all articles…
- High Pressure Pumps for Cleaning Applications
- Uses and Applications of Submersible Mixed-Flow Column Pumps
- View all articles…