Important Considerations in Centrifugal Pump Lubrication
September 26, 2019
No matter what industry you work in, it is likely that pumps play a role. Whether you work in agriculture or inside of a manufacturing plant, the odds are good that there is a pump pushing fluids from one point to another. Often known as the heart of the operation, you need to make sure that you are properly preparing and using the pumps that make such an impact on your work. Today, we are going to explore the importance of properly lubricating your centrifugal pump. This is a specialised topic, so make sure to buckle up and take notes!
Importance of Lubrication for Centrifugal Pump Operation
A centrifugal pump uses the conversion of kinetic energy to induce the flow of fluids. This rotational energy is created by the mechanisms inside of your pump, namely the motor. When your pump's motor comes into question due to poor lubrication practices, your entire machine may end up breaking down. To properly lubricate your centrifugal pump, there are some things that you need to know about. Before you start working with your centrifugal pump, pay attention to the following information!
1) The Bathing Method - Let's start by discussing the most commonly performed lubrication application method for your centrifugal pump, the bathing method. To establish an appropriate oil bath, you'll need, at minimum, a bottle oiler. A bottle oiler will allow you to maintain the oil level inside of your centrifugal pump. The process of an oil bath is rather robust, but you will need a bottle oiler and the tools to open up your pump.
2) Preventing Cavitation - If you want to prevent cavitation, you are going to need to pay attention to the smaller components in your pump's system. Cavitation can be caused by contamination which itself can be caused by poorly lubricated seals, loose fill plugs, dirty oil, or even just poor storage.
3) Record Cleanliness Metrics - The easiest way to analyse how your pump's cleanliness is by using a PPM meter to read contaminants before and after your pump's lubrication. PPM stands for Parts Per Million and the higher the number, the more contaminated your pump actually is. By mapping your cleanliness metrics, you can set up a concrete before-and-after system to track your work.
Pumps can be complicated products, so don't try to maintain them unless you are sure of what you are doing. If you need help taking care of or replacing your centrifugal pump, you can always reach out to our team at Parker Pumps!
29B Ormond Rd., East Geelong VIC 3219
Phone: (03) 5229 7443
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How Does Impeller Balancing Maintain Pump’s Operation?
- Benefits of Routine House Pump Maintenance
- Effects of Pipe Strains on Pumping Systems
- Important Considerations in Centrifugal Pump Lubrication
- Common Causes of Excessive Pump Vibration and Ways How to Correct Them
- FAQ: Does a Pump with a Low Operating Speed Increase Its Reliability?
- Avoid Health Problems Due to Water Contamination: Invest on a Whole House Filtration System
- Poorly-Designed Piping: What Harm Can it Cause to a Pumping System?
- Fountain and Pond Pump Selection Guidelines
- Booster Pumps: What, When, and Where is it Normally Needed?
- Understanding the Effects of Water Hammer on Pumps and Pipes
- Abrasive Wear in Pump Rotor: Causes and Solutions
- Dry Running Pump Stators and Loss of Lubrication: Why Should These Be Avoided?
- Causes and Remedies of Misalignment in Pumps
- How to Select Pumps that Can Withstand Harsh Environment and Weather Conditions
- FAQ: What Type of Pump Should be Used for a Running Viscous Liquid?
- When and Why are Water Pressure Booster Pump Systems Necessary?
- Is Water Filtration System Enough to Give You Good Quality Drinking Water?
- Most Common Drinking Water Contaminants: Why Filtration is A Necessity?
- How to Check for Common Fish Pond Pump Problems
- What are the Benefits of Having Grundfos Hot Water Circulators for your Home?
- Pond and Fountain Pumps: Are there any Differences?
- Garden Pump Facts: Installation, Care and Maintenance
- View all articles…
- How to Determine the Pump Size for Your Garden Fountain
- Benefits of Custom Designed Water Pumps for Your Ponds and Garden Needs
- View all articles…
- High Pressure Pumps for Cleaning Applications
- Uses and Applications of Submersible Mixed-Flow Column Pumps
- View all articles…