Pond and Fountain Pumps: Are there any Differences?
December 14, 2018
Having a water feature in your back or front yard can be a great way to develop some personality on your property. Whether you are talking about a beautiful fountain or a serene pond, these water features can go a long way toward making your house stand out among the crowd. While both of these water features might seem similar, and they are in a variety of ways, there is one core difference that we need to address: the type of water pump that you rely on. Choosing a water pump for your water feature is important and many people are confused: is there truly a difference between pond and fountain pumps?
Pond vs. Fountain Pumps: What's The Difference
A pond and a fountain don't seem like two dramatically different applications. Why then do we need to be careful so as to select the right water pump for their operation? Are there even any key differences between the two styles of pumps? Water pumps are advanced pieces of equipment that work to help you circulate water in your reservoir. In a pond, this water pump is charged with mere circulation and cycling duties.
With a fountain, of any size, your water pump is going to be charged with circulating water before jettisoning it out and through whatever top-level orifice your design requires. The two applications even seem similar, so what differences could we need to ponder?
1) Fountains May Require More GPH - When you are shopping around for water pumps, one of the primary statistics that you will be paying attention to is that of the GPH. GPH stands for 'gallons per hour' and it is a signifier of the strength of your pump when pushing water around. A pond that is simply circulating water will not require as high of a GPH as a fountain will.
2) Horsepower Requirements - Additionally, you'll need to look at how tall your fountain actually is. The taller your fountain, the more horsepower you will need from your pump. Ponds again do not have those same requirements. For fountain pumps, pay attention to the 'pumping height' on the packaging.
As far as differences between the two styles of pumps, those primarily cover it. Water pumps are water pumps and there aren't going to be too many pivots between the different styles. Essentially, if you want a water pump for your fountain you just need to pay attention to horsepower and pumping height. If you want a pump for your pond, stay focused on GPH as your primary motivator when making a pump selection.
29B Ormond Rd., East Geelong VIC 3219
Phone: (03) 5229 7443
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How Does Impeller Balancing Maintain Pump’s Operation?
- Benefits of Routine House Pump Maintenance
- Effects of Pipe Strains on Pumping Systems
- Important Considerations in Centrifugal Pump Lubrication
- Common Causes of Excessive Pump Vibration and Ways How to Correct Them
- FAQ: Does a Pump with a Low Operating Speed Increase Its Reliability?
- Avoid Health Problems Due to Water Contamination: Invest on a Whole House Filtration System
- Poorly-Designed Piping: What Harm Can it Cause to a Pumping System?
- Fountain and Pond Pump Selection Guidelines
- Booster Pumps: What, When, and Where is it Normally Needed?
- Understanding the Effects of Water Hammer on Pumps and Pipes
- Abrasive Wear in Pump Rotor: Causes and Solutions
- Dry Running Pump Stators and Loss of Lubrication: Why Should These Be Avoided?
- Causes and Remedies of Misalignment in Pumps
- How to Select Pumps that Can Withstand Harsh Environment and Weather Conditions
- FAQ: What Type of Pump Should be Used for a Running Viscous Liquid?
- When and Why are Water Pressure Booster Pump Systems Necessary?
- Is Water Filtration System Enough to Give You Good Quality Drinking Water?
- Most Common Drinking Water Contaminants: Why Filtration is A Necessity?
- How to Check for Common Fish Pond Pump Problems
- What are the Benefits of Having Grundfos Hot Water Circulators for your Home?
- Pond and Fountain Pumps: Are there any Differences?
- Garden Pump Facts: Installation, Care and Maintenance
- View all articles…
- How to Determine the Pump Size for Your Garden Fountain
- Benefits of Custom Designed Water Pumps for Your Ponds and Garden Needs
- View all articles…
- High Pressure Pumps for Cleaning Applications
- Uses and Applications of Submersible Mixed-Flow Column Pumps
- View all articles…