Uses and Applications of Submersible Mixed-Flow Column Pumps
December 9, 2016
Submersible mixed-flow column pumps work deep below the ground to raise fluids from the bowels of deep wells. But make no mistake, we're not necessarily talking about fresh water. That's right, column pumps are imbued with enough mechanical muscle to shift thick solids, including the smelliest, foulest pools of raw sewage.
Moderate Duty Well Dwellers
Three and five vane impellers have enough ingrained torque to really push mixed-medium fluids. In the case of a medium-sized well, submersible mixed-flow column pumps will easily overcome a medium head so that turgid liquid/solid mixes will readily move up a long pipe, straight to the top of a deep hole in the ground. We tend to hide such pumping applications underneath manhole covers, but their applications are easy enough to imagine, beginning with wastewater disposal.
All Kinds of Wastewater
A depth handling feature couples naturally with a high flow design, so expect high-end column pumps to function efficiently within dozens of challenging scenarios, places where dirty water needs to be quickly evacuated. Land irrigation applications benefit from this deep bore fixture, as do flood water mediation situations. That latter usage area looks a bit like a submersible basement pump, but this version is scaled to remove much larger volumes of muddy water.
Double-Duty Sewage Deterrent
Commercial districts and small housing complexes use submersible mixed-flow column pumps as first stage fluid transporters. In essence, the mechanism's role here is to collect the waste in its pit and then feed the excrement to the main sewage line. That's an important duty, but what happens when it gets clogged down there? Well, in order to raise the pump from its ugly pool, a connecting chain is installed. It's this chain that lifts the clogged pump for maintenance or repair.
Questionable Fresh Water Applications
A puny motor deals out enough radial force to get a stream of fresh water circulating, but water streams aren't always this clean, especially in rural regions. A mixed-flow design works better in this muddy situation. It pumps the particulate-laden fluid through ground filters and sanitation gear, with the sparkling clean drinkable water arriving at the faucet via a secondary circulating pump.
This is a specialized, brawny pump family, one designed to work at some depth. It's typically responsible for the carriage of wastewater and sewage, but it can readily alter its function to handle freshwater. Other applications require a little imagination. If we're resourceful enough, though, it's easy to picture these deep well devices working powerfully in mines and deep thermal heating applications.
29B Ormond Rd., East Geelong VIC 3219
Phone: (03) 5229 7443
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How Does Impeller Balancing Maintain Pump’s Operation?
- Benefits of Routine House Pump Maintenance
- Effects of Pipe Strains on Pumping Systems
- Important Considerations in Centrifugal Pump Lubrication
- Common Causes of Excessive Pump Vibration and Ways How to Correct Them
- FAQ: Does a Pump with a Low Operating Speed Increase Its Reliability?
- Avoid Health Problems Due to Water Contamination: Invest on a Whole House Filtration System
- Poorly-Designed Piping: What Harm Can it Cause to a Pumping System?
- Fountain and Pond Pump Selection Guidelines
- Booster Pumps: What, When, and Where is it Normally Needed?
- Understanding the Effects of Water Hammer on Pumps and Pipes
- Abrasive Wear in Pump Rotor: Causes and Solutions
- Dry Running Pump Stators and Loss of Lubrication: Why Should These Be Avoided?
- Causes and Remedies of Misalignment in Pumps
- How to Select Pumps that Can Withstand Harsh Environment and Weather Conditions
- FAQ: What Type of Pump Should be Used for a Running Viscous Liquid?
- When and Why are Water Pressure Booster Pump Systems Necessary?
- Is Water Filtration System Enough to Give You Good Quality Drinking Water?
- Most Common Drinking Water Contaminants: Why Filtration is A Necessity?
- How to Check for Common Fish Pond Pump Problems
- What are the Benefits of Having Grundfos Hot Water Circulators for your Home?
- Pond and Fountain Pumps: Are there any Differences?
- Garden Pump Facts: Installation, Care and Maintenance
- View all articles…
- How to Determine the Pump Size for Your Garden Fountain
- Benefits of Custom Designed Water Pumps for Your Ponds and Garden Needs
- View all articles…
- High Pressure Pumps for Cleaning Applications
- Uses and Applications of Submersible Mixed-Flow Column Pumps
- View all articles…